Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Volunteering for the fire hall...

Every year the fire dept. has one big fundraiser. Starting in February they make chocolate Easter eggs to sell before Easter. I am so happy to get to help with this fundraiser. It isn't the easiest project to take on nor quick. Rachel and I were there from 10:00 am Sunday until 7:00 pm. Then we went back Monday, and John and I went back Tuesday. Rachel and I will be going back tonight. The other volunteers aren't really that excited about all the work, but I REALLY ENJOY IT! I like the challenge and getting to do something good with my time. We will be making eggs every night except Friday and all day every Saturday and Sunday for the next 6-8 weeks. The goal is to make 15,000 eggs. They will have fillings like peanut butter, butter cream, coconut, strawberry, orange pineapple, etc. There will be 3 different sizes to make of the main flavors (first 3 in list). Each egg is color coated for the filling. I have never made candy before and I really enjoy it. My aunt Rose used to make us candy and I never really appreciated her effort until doing this.


Here are some pictures of the eggs and all of the volunteers.

Richie is the Chef of it all. If you look closely you will see where a cloud of powdered sugar covered part of his head/ear! Candy making is a dirty job, but someones gotta do it!
John, Terri and Rachel decorating team!
John decorating the Peanut butter filled eggs!
Rachel and I showing Jeff how to work the icing!

The peanut butter ones are delicious!

Rachel and me

The butter cream filled eggs. I haven't sampled this flavor yet!
John and the Chief- Jeff
Day 3- Coconut filled eggs (I won't be sampling these as I don't like coconut)
And, if anyone is worried, I am not sampling them too much. I would be one chubby bunny if I sampled all day long!

1 comment: