Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Venison Meatloaf!

I am sorry I am so slow getting this wonderful dinner on here. Last Thursday we had some ground venison just begging to be used. So I whipped up a meatloaf. I don't follow a recipe when I make meatloaf. It is different every time and I usually throw in whatever flavors/spices I am in the mood for that day.

Venison Meatloaf

  • 1 lb. of Ground venison (or beef) (I might have used a little more than a lb.)
  • 2 cups approx. of Progresso Italian bread crumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 a can of tomato sauce
  • 2 tbsp. of sugar
  • 2 tsp. of minced garlic
  • 1 tsp. of Sticky Fingers brand rub (or whatever brand you might have)
  • 2 tsp. of basil
  • 1 tsp. of red pepper flake
  • (I needed a little more sauce for the consistency I wanted so I added a little ketchup


Meatloaf Sauce (sort of my own ketchup concoction)

  • 1/2 can of tomato sauce
  • 1 tsp. of sugar
  • 1 lid-full of vinegar (probably 1/2 a tsp. or so)
  • a little more of the Sticky Fingers rub
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese (I had some shredded to use up)

  1. I cooked it in the oven for about 35 mins. or so on 400 degrees.
  2. Then I added the sauce.
  3. Then I let it cook about another 10 mins.



The best part about using Venison instead of beef is there is no grease puddle in the pan. It is so much healthier than beef. My only regret- Not whipping up some mashed potatoes to go with it!

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I can't say that I've used venison for fear of the gameyness but this does look delicious!

Kristi~Leigh said...

You can't taste the gameyness at all. It is amazing how the spices cover up any of that. I have been substituting venison in everything.