Monday, February 9, 2009

#31 Go to the new museum in Roanoke

This past Friday John and I had a very fun evening. We went to one of our favorite restaurants down town, Corn Beef & Co., to attend a retirement celebration for Jeff's boss. We enjoyed some free appetizers and pizza. And Cake of course. Then I had heard on the radio about the fundraiser the SPCA was holding at the new Taubman Museum of Art. They were selling art to raise money for the RVSPCA. So we invited Rachel and Jeff along and we walked 2 blocks down to the museum. It was PACKED to say the least. It was actually interesting that the large percentage of attendees were much older and extremely rude. It was near impossible to look at the art for the fundraiser because there were so many people standing right in front of the display sipping on their wine. So we all headed upstairs to see the exhibits. I found a lot of the exhibits very interesting. There was a piece that looked like and actually little boy molded out of wax or clay (mixed media). It was so real looking. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to take pictures so I didn't. Another favorite of mine was seeing an actually 'Homage to the Square' piece by Josef Albers. I spent a lot of time studding Mr. and Mrs. Albers in the art classes I took for my minor. Most people didn't even notice his piece or thought it was just a kindergartner's drawing. After walking around upstairs we were finally able to get a little closer to the exhibit for the SPCA.

This is a picture of John and I standing upstairs in the museum. If you are driving on 581 through Roanoke, you see this part of the building as well as some old business signs (that you can see behind us outside).










No comments: