Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Valentines Day with my Love!

John and I had a fun filled Valentines day. We started our day with breakfast. John made biscuits and sausage while I was getting ready. We started our activities by going to the history museum in at the market in Roanoke. I am sure there is an official name for it, I just don't know it. We toured the regular exhibits and a random exhibit that they had on moonshine. It was interesting. There was a REALLY old video about it that I swear had to be made in the 70 or 80's and featured people from Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia. It was a fun history lesson.

For lunch we went to a new BBQ place called Blues BBQ. It was DELICIOUS. John and I consider ourselves connoisseurs of fine BBQ. We have favorites all along the way back and forth to Pigeon Forge and every where else you could imagine (even in Hawaii!) I will have to give you the list another day. Any who, after a bowl of spicy hot brisket chili, we had sandwiches and I had french fries like no other and John had Succotash! (corn and LIMA bean concoction.) We will be going back there to try out more items on their great menu!

After lunch we headed up 81 a little ways to The Natural Bridge museum. It is something that I have wanted to do since we moved here. I don't know if John really new that, he might have just thought it would be neat to see. We probably hiked 2 miles round trip to see the bridge, a saltpeter cave, a waterfall and this random pond in the side of the mountain. They tried to see where the water goes by doing die tests and using floatation devices and can't find where it comes from or where it goes. You can hear the water running like a waterfall inside the hole but can't see where it is coming from. Below is a picture of John standing in front of the hole.

After all that, we weren't sure where to go eat, so we headed back to Roanoke. We ended up going to Golden Coral. Don't laugh. We love Golden Coral. We only go if it is busy, and it was packed Saturday for steak night and Valentines Day.

We ended our day by watching The Astronaut Farmer, which we had from Netfilx and wanted to watch and get sent back. All in all a great day! The best gift was getting to spend the day with John, free of the normal routine we have been under lately-of work, workout, fire hall activities, and sleep. Oh, and John got me Starburst Candy to eat before I get braces! And I got him (and myself) a dressing valet from BB&B. They were on clearance for $49.99 and I had two 20% off coupons so I got 2 for $80 instead of $200.00!!! I love bargains.
John at the Natural Bridge

Me at the Natural Bridge

The other side of the Natural Bridge. You can see where Hwy. 11 goes over. We drove over it on the way there and had no idea!
A poem on the way up the mountain
John in front of the random hole where you can see a pond and hear a waterfall...

John and I posing in front of the waterfall. (The water was low when we were there)

This is the Valet finally put together!



No comments: