Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup! Mmm-Mmm-Good!

I found this recipe on MrsSchoon04's blog, Sweet Savory Southern. Her source was allrecipes.com. She has lots of awesome recipes that I want to try out eventually. This one was a winner. For the original recipe click on the allrecipes link above. I made quite a few alterations to fit the needs of my household of taste testers.





Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup (my version)



the following ingredients can all be dumped in the slow cooker:
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
  • 1- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 cans of chicken broth
  • 2 cans of enchilada sauce (mild)
  • 2 cups of frozen corn*
  • 1/4 cup of finely diced onions
  • 3/4 tsp. chili powder
  • 2 cups of salsa (mild)

These are the toppings I used:

  • Mexican blend cheese (amount up to consumer!)
  • tortilla chip strips (I found the strips in the bakery section of my Kroger's)
  1. toss all the ingredients, except for toppings, into slow cooker. (I cooked the chicken breasts while cooking dinner the night before.)
  2. cook on low in slow cooker for 6-8 hours. (my slow cooker keeps it warms after the time ends)
  3. ladle into bowls and add desired toppings.

* I will add more corn next time.

This is staying on my top soup recipes. I am not a huge fan of soups, but this was delicious and of course easy!

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks delicious and perfect for the winter weather we're having here in Chicago!

McKsMom said...

I am loving the cooking info. I hate to cook, so anything easy is my game. I have a Chicken tortilla soup that is way easy. Open a can of chunck chicken, Rotel tomatoes and chicken broth. Heat until boiling. Add any toppings you wish. I usually add cheese. I also make my own tortilla chips (super easy if I do it) and cinnamon tortilla chips for dessert. Yummy! I think I will have it this weekend.